GATE 2021 Notification: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay has published notification for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2021. Those Candidates who are interested in the vacancy details & completed all eligibility criteria can read the notification & apply Online.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national examination conducted jointly by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee on behalf of National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India. GATE examination is a Computer Based Test (CBT).
Organising Institute for GATE 2021 is Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay.
Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to Postgraduate Programs (Master’s and Doctoral) with Ministry of Education (MoE) and other Government Scholarships / Assistantships, subject to the admission criteria of the admitting institute.
The GATE score is also used by some Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) for their recruitment and by several other universities in India and abroad for admissions.
GATE 2021 score will remain valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of results.
About GATE 2021
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically a national examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Arts, Commerce and Science.
GATE 2021 will be conducted for 27 Subjects (also referred to as “papers”).
GATE 2021 examination will be conducted over six days and twelve sessions on Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, Sunday 7th, Friday 12th, Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th of February 2021.
The GATE examination is conducted in different cities across India as well as six cities outside India (In International centres, GATE-2021 will be conducted only if the current COVID-19 situation eases and travel and other restrictions are relaxed. Else GATE-2021 in international centres will be “CANCELLED”).
The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on several years of examination data.
Highlights of GATE 2021
- Dates of examination: Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, Sunday 7th, Friday 12th, Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th February, 2021. There are two sessions (forenoon and afternoon) each day.
- Fully Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Two NEW subject papers are introduced:
- ES (Environmental Science and Engineering)
- XH (Humanities and Social Sciences) in Economics / English / Linguistics / Philosophy / Psychology / Sociology.
- Total number of subject papers: 27
- Syllabi of all subject papers have been revised for GATE 2021.
- All Test Papers of GATE 2021 will be entirely objective type. Pattern of questions may include
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ),
- Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and/or
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- ONE or TWO subject papers allowed. TWO Paper combinations have to be chosen from the given list of combinations of papers. Final allotment of TWO papers will still be subject to availability of infrastructure and dates.
- Eligibility criteria is relaxed. A Candidate who is currently studying in th 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already completed any Government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible to appear for GATE-2021 examination.
- There is NO age limit to appear for GATE 2021 examination.
- Applications will be accepted ONLINE only through GATE-2021 website link GOAPS.
- GATE-2021 score card will remain valid for THREE years from the date of announcement of results.
- Depending on COVID-19 situation, the schedule of the GATE 2021 examination may change.
- Due to COVID-19 related international travel restrictions, examinations at the International Centres may be dropped, if situation is not conductive by end of November 2020.
- Details available at the official website: https://gate.iitb.ac.in
- Organising Institute: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay).
GATE 2021 Exam Dates
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||Monday||14th September 2020|
|Closing Date of REGULAR online registration / application portal||Wednesday||30th September 2020|
|End of EXTENDED period for online registration / application|
(with late fee)
|Wednesday||7th October 2020|
|Last Date for change of category, paper and examination city|
(an additional fee will be applicable)
|Friday||13th November 2020|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Portal|
(for download and printing)
|Friday||8th January 2021|
|GATE 2021 Examination|
Forenoon: 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon (Tentative)
Afternoon: 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM (Tentative)
|5th February 2021|
6th February 2021
7th February 2021
12th February 2021
13th February 2021
14th February 2021
|Announcement of results in the Online Application Portal||Monday||22nd March 2021|
GATE 2021 Papers
Maximum TWO papers in GATE 2021
A candidate may appear either in ONE or TWO subject papers. For candidates who choose TWO papers, the combination must be from the approved list of combinations and subject to the availability of infrastructure and date.
|Code of the First Paper (Primary)||Codes of Papers allowed as the Second Paper|
|BM||BT / XL|
|BT||BM / XL|
|CE||AR / ES|
|CH||CY / PE / XE|
|CY||CH / XL|
|EC||IN / PH|
|ES||AG / CE|
|GG||MN / PE / PH|
|IN||EC / EE / PH|
|MA||CS / PH / ST|
|MN||GG / XE|
|MT||PH / XE|
|PE||CH / GG / XE|
|PH||EC / GG / IN / MA / MT / ST|
|ST||MA / PH|
|XE||AE / CH / ME / MN / MT / PE / PI / TF|
|XL||BM / BT / CY|
GATE 2021 Information Brochure
Pattern of Examination
|Examination Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Number of Subjects (Papers)||27|
|Sections||General Aptitude (GA) + Candidate’s Selected Subject|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/orNumerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions|
|Questions test these abilities||RecallComprehensionApplicationAnalysis and Synthesis|
|Number of Questions||10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65 Questions|
|Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks + Subject Questions: 72 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Subject Questions: 85 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Marking Scheme||All of the questions will be of 1 mark or 2 marks|
Detailed Marking Scheme
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Subject Marks||Total Marks||Total Time (Minutes)|
|AE, AR, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, ES, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PE, PH, PI, TF, ST and BM||15||85||100||180|
|GG [Part A + Part B (Section 1 Geology OR Section 2 Geophysics)]||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|XE (Section A + Any TWO Sections)||15||15 + (2 x 35)||100||180|
|XH (Section B1 + Any ONE Section)||15||25 + (1 x 60)||100||180|
|XL (Section P + Any TWO Sections)||15||25 + (2 x 30)||100||180|
GATE 2021 Syllabus Revised
Syllabus for each of the papers has been revised for GATE-2021.
The syllabus for each of the papers can be found by clicking on the papers (subject) below.
GATE 2021 Examination Center
|Zone||Zonal GATE Office||Tentative List of Examination Cities/Towns|
Bengaluru – 560 012
|Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Bagalkot, Belagavi (Belgaum), Ballari (Bellary), Bengaluru South, Bengaluru North, Bidar, Chikkamagaluru, Davanagere, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Hassan, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kannur, Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Malappuram, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Palakkad, Payyanur, Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Thrissur, Tumakuru, Vatakara (30)|
IIT Bombay, Powai,
Mumbai – 400 076
|Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Anand, Aurangabad, Baramati, Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Chandrapur, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mehsana, Mumbai-Navi Mumbai-Thane, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune, Raigad, Rajkot, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Surat, Vadodara (27)|
IIT Delhi, HauzKhas,
New Delhi – 110 016
|Ajmer, Alwar, Bikaner, Faridabad, Greater NOIDA, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu-Samba, Jodhpur, Kota, Mathura, New Delhi, Rohtak, Srinagar, Sikar, Sonepat, Udaipur, Ujjain (20)|
Guwahati – 781 039
|Agartala, Aizawl, Asansol-Durgapur, Bokaro Steel City, Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Dimapur-Kohima, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Itanagar, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Purnea, Shillong, Silchar, Siliguri, Tezpur (21)|
Kanpur – 208 016
|Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi (12)|
Kharagpur – 721 302
|Balasore, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur (CG), Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Eluru, Hooghly (WB), Jamshedpur, Kakinada (AP), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry), Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam (23)|
Chennai – 600 036
|Alappuzha, Aluva-Ernakulam, Attingal, Chengannur, Chennai South, Chennai West, Chirala, Chittoor, Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Gudur, Guntur, Kadapa, Kanjirapally, Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Karimnagar, Khammam, Kodad, Kollam, Kothamangalam, Kottayam, Idukki, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Namakkal, Nellore, Ongole, Puducherry, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thoothukudi, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Vellore, Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal (40)|
Roorkee – 247 667
|Ambala, Amritsar, Bathinda, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Hamirpur-Una (HP), Jalandhar, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Ludhiana, Meerut, Mohali-Chandigarh, Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar, NOIDA, Panipat, Pathankot, Patiala-Sangrur, Roorkee, Shimla-Solan, Yamunanagar (22)|
|2||International GATE*||Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal), Singapore (6)|
*Note – International Centres for GATE-2021 will continue IF the travel and other infrastructural issues normalize by November 2020 from the present COVID-19 pandemic situation, OTHERWISE, GATE-2021 examination at International Centres will be “CANCELLED”.
This is a tentative list, and any change will be updated on the website.
Choice of Examination City: The candidate can choose FOUR cities from the list of examination cities given in the above table. The first, second and third choices must be from the same GATE zone and fourth choice can be from any GATE zone.
If a candidate chooses a particular city (in a particular zone) as the first choice, then he/she will be able to choose the city of second and third choice ONLY from that particular zone. However, the fourth choice can be from any one of the listed cities in india(i.e., no restriction on the zone for the fourth choice city). Note that, because of the operational constraints, the GATE Committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing one, and allot a city that may not be from any of the choices selected by the candidate.
GATE 2021 Application Fee:
Pay on or before 14 to 30-09-2020:
- All Other Categories Rs. 1500/-
- SC/ ST/ PwD/ Female: Rs. 750/-
During the Extended Period (01 to 07-10-2020):
- All Other Categories: Rs. 2000/-
- SC/ ST/ PwD/ Female: Rs. 1250
Payment Mode: Debit/ Credit card/ Net Banking
GATE 2021 – Data Requirement for Filling the Online Application Form (GOAPS)
The following data will be required while filling the form at GOAPS:
- Personal information (name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, etc.). Please note that the name of the candidate in the application form must exactly be the same as that in the valid photo ID, which the candidate MUST produce in original while appearing for GATE-2021 examination at the centre.
GATE 2021 scorecard will be issued as per the name entered in the application form.
Prefix/title such as Mr/Shri/Dr/Mrs/Smt/Prof/Capt, etc. MUST NOT be used before name.
- Address for Communication (including PIN code)
- Eligibility degree details
- College name and address with PIN code
- GATE paper(s) (subject)
- Four Choices of GATE examination cities
- High quality image of candidate’s photograph conforming to the requirements specified
- Good quality image of candidate’s signature conforming to the requirements specified
- Scanned copy of Category (SC/ST) certificate (if applicable) in pdf format
- Scanned copy of PwD Certificate (if applicable) in pdf format
- Scanned copy of Certificate of Dyslexia (if applicable) in pdf format
- Details of the valid photo Identity Document (ID)(The same ID, in original, MUST be carried to the examination hall)
- Net-banking/debit card/credit card/UPI details for fee payment
How To Apply for GATE 2021:
Eligible candidates can apply online at the official website of IITB.
- Visit https://gate.iitb.ac.in.
- Click on the Apply Online Link.
- If you are a new user then click on “New Registration”.
- After registration, Log in with Reg. No and password.
- Fill the details in the application and upload the Scanned Photo, signature.
- Pay the application fee.
- Finally, Submit the online application.